Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Trying to get to all the last sales of the season!

There has been an overabundance of sales lately. Everyone trying to get the last bits of junk cleared out before the snow falls, and everyone is stuck inside looking at it for the winter. I've been to several sales the past couple of weekends, but only a few things have caught my eye.

I found out on Monday of last week, that I will be needing surgery, It is scheduled for November 5. I'm very happy and very impressed with my surgeon. I had an appointment with a different one, but my husband who works in the trauma burn operating room, made me switch to a different surgeon, because he didn't know anything about her. This new surgeon came very highly recommended by all of the nurses, and when I met her, I was very impressed with how down to earth she is, how knowledgeable she is and how easy to talk to she is.

She spent a considerable amount of time with me at my appointment-it was 2 hours and 45 minutes long!! Then when I had a couple more questions and emailed her about the questions, she called me at 8:30 at night to answer every last question-never rushing me, never making me feel stupid, and never being impatient.

After the doctor appointment on Monday, I stopped at Knightsbridge just to wander around a bit and let my mind veg out for a bit after that long appointment. I didn't find anything I couldn't live without, but I did enjoy my time wandering and checking out all of the treasures in the many booths.

The rest of the week just flew by, and before I knew it, it was Thursday afternoon and time for the weekend! I went to a couple of sales after work, and then Mr. and I started a marathon cooking evening. We cooked 20 beef meals for the freezer. Next weekend, we plan to do 20 chicken meals for the freezer. We used to do marathon cooking on a regular basis, but we've gotten away from it and we've missed it. We would spend a weekend cooking for 3-4 months at a time and freeze it.

It feels good knowing that it's all in the freezer, ready to be used, and that no one will have to go to any trouble for meals while I recovery from surgery. I should be up and pretty much back to normal within a week,but am told I will need to be off work for 4-6 weeks.

I went to a couple of quick sales on Friday morning before heading to Dearborn Heights to help some friends get their dad's stuff ready for an estate sale. The dad had to be moved to assisted living, so they are trying to clear out his house to get it ready to sell.

We spent about 6 1/2 hours pricing stuff. They did all of the hard work of pulling everything out and sorting it onto tables throughout the house. I just worked with them on pricing things. I wasn't thinking there would be as much stuff as there was. He was a collector of quite a few things. He had a big collection of carnival glass and a large collection of Patrician Spoke depression glass.

I can only imagine the hours the family has put into getting everything ready for pricing!There was so much stuff!! We spent some time looking up prices online on some of the items that were out of my realm. I think everything is very fairly priced. It is a good deal for the shoppers and the family will make some money for their father at the same time.

Saturday, Mr. and I went to a couple of sales, but they were all frogs-not one prince to be found, and we came home empty handed. We did a few things around the house and then went and played a couple of hours of volleyball-it was a lot of fun, with some really long plays-FUN!\

Today, we're taking it slow, doing a few things around the house, and relaxing and enjoying the 72 degree, sunny day. Next weekend Auntie and I are going to Davisburg for the Antique Festival there-I can't wait!! I'm trying to talk Mr into the GR vintage street fair on the 12th, but other than that, I don't have any plans in the near future for festivals or flea markets-I might go through withdrawals!! I'm kidding--kind of!

Here are the things I picked up this week...
 This matches a canister set that I got a few years ago! It was a great price, and I had a great chat with the seller-a former dealer in an antique mall in Allen, who lives in my area.

 Can't wait to sit on the front porch and watch the leaves change!

 404 Friendship!!

Must be the time of year for orange Pyrex!!


2 comments:

  1. Hooray that you found the right doctor...WOW..that is some meal planning :)
    I laugh when you say a sale is a "frog"..we went to a couple estate sales and found some goodies.
    take care, warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope your surgery is nothing serious. Of course, no surgery is pleasant, but prayers for a good recovery. I love all your finds, especially the chair. I haven't found a good sale in I don't know when. Very few around here. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete