Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2015

2015 Michigan Depression Glass Show!

Today was another "first" for me! I went to the Michigan Depression Glass Show in Dearborn. I've seen ads for this show for years, but have never gone because, 1. I thought it was just a "show", and  2. I thought it wouldn't be my kind of thing.

I'm glad I went, because it's NOT just a "show", most of everything I saw was for sale, and the prices weren't anywhere near as bad as I thought they might be, and there were a LOT of my kind of things there!  I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of Jadeite, Pyrex, Hazel Atlas,&  Fire King mixed in with all of the gorgeous depression glass.

I got a kick out of people watching at the show. Some people were literally running up to the Jadeite tables, and people were doing some serious blocking at the Pyrex tables. I overheard people telling other people things like, "oh, that's Fire King", and the other person agreeing with them, when the item was definitely Hazel Atlas. I overheard a couple of people getting snarky with each other, not over any particular item...I just think they were dealers looking for a deal, but the other one beat them in to the show...or something like that.

One of the dealers that I bought something from was surprised at the interest in Pyrex. She said she was new to it, and when she was talking to a fellow dealer at the show about it, the other dealer said she refused to have it in her booth, because it is "basement glass". I'll bet that dealer will regret not having any Pyrex, because from what I could see, it was flying off the shelves!!

There were four of us for today's adventure. It was short and sweet! Just enough time to see everything, buy some fun things and still get home in time to have the whole afternoon to do something else!

Here are some pics of what I saw and what I bought...


Waiting in line for the doors to open. The first 200 people got Pyrex pins! We got a front row parking spot too and we were only about 14 minutes early.

The big Pyrex display!











The little red atomic dot bowl was priced separately and it was the same price as the entire set!



I'd really like to find the three smaller sizes in this pattern to complete a set.



I love amethyst Blenko!

I've never seen this before...does anyone know what it is??

I've never seen this Pyrex platter before either-have you??





These weren't for sale, they were some rare items on display by Michael Barber who was there selling his book Pyrex Passion.


This was their selfie station, where you could take a selfie with your treasure and their sign.

It was a beautiful day and in a beautiful building. Look at that sky!!!

I bought the book, and got it signed!!

It's official! I'm an "Authorized Pyrex Shopper!"

Cute little pixie that I found for $10 less than any other dealer at the show.

I added another space saver to my stack...I think I need some black snowflakes to mix up the stack a little!

5 comments:

  1. The Pyrex platter is actually a lid to an aluminum roasting pan, and fairly hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an amazing collection! I have no idea how much I have, because I have nowhere to display it all...it's all crammed into nooks, crannies and closets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basement glass!!? What an ignorant person who said that! Looks like lots of fun! Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That show looks like absolute heaven! I have that book too and it's a great reference guide. I actually used it yesterday to see if I had complete a set yet.

    Have a great Sunday!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came across your blog. I will have to browse through all your posts soon.

    ReplyDelete