Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

"There's Nothing But Tools in There."

Friday morning I left in search of an estate sale that had absolutely nothing that I was looking for. I wasn't excited about what I would find, or wondering what kind of prices they might have. I did enjoy the drive-it was a beautiful day. Why would I go to a sale where as I was walking up the driveway, I was told by a guy walking out, "There's nothing but tools in there."?

I went there as a look-out for Mr.. The sale was very clearly advertised as a guy's sale. It had great pictures of all kinds of woodworking tools and what really caught his eye was three lathes! I got there about an hour after it opened and the road was lined with cars.

It was a long walk up a very long winding driveway, marked with stakes and caution tape to keep people off of their grass. The sale was in an outbuilding. Not really a barn, just a building that had the sole purpose of being a woodworking shop.

Let me tell you, it was v e r y   a w k w a r d walking in to this sale! I wasn't the only woman there, but the other two were either working the sale or with a guy. I tried to get a good look at one of the lathes, but two guys were standing in front of it talking and blocking it. The price tag was gone, so I figured one of them either bought it or was going to buy it.

The next one was absolutely huge! It had a SOLD sign on it, and the last one was pretty much the same size as what he has, but a lot older and in a lot rougher shape. While I was in there, I overheard a couple of guys talking that they were in line 2 1/2 hours before the sale started and they were still there an hour after it had started! The whole time I was there, I felt like the many men who were there were wondering why I was there. More than likely, they didn't even pay attention to a lone woman, at a guys sale, and the awkwardness was all in my head.

I can count on one hand the number of sales I've gotten to early, and maybe only one or two were more than an hour early. Do you go super early? What's the earliest you've ever gotten to a sale?? Do you hang around and shop for a while? Or do you move through and on to the next sale?? I like to move through and on to the next sale. Very rarely do I stay for long periods of time-usually those houses are the ones that are packed to the gills with goodies that require a lot of time for looking and digging. I think the house I shopped at the longest was a sale in Manchester a few years ago. I think it was also the place where I stood outside the longest waiting to get in -and it was worth it!!!

After the tool sale, I visited a couple of garage sales, a thrift store and a church rummage sale. I decided to head further east to just kind of see what I could see. It was a beautiful day, I didn't have any commitments, and I just felt like being out and about.

I ended up in Waterford and had a great time wandering around two nice little shops. One was new to me, and I'm looking forward to a return visit soon! The other I've been to a few times. I was even game for a stroll through Dixieland Flea Market, but it doesn't open until 4 on Fridays, so I had to skip it.

I did get to meet up with my SIL for lunch-we don't get to do that very often because we live an hour apart, so it was really nice that we were both off on the same day and had the time to meet!!

Saturday was just the usual housework and volleyball in the evening. It's going to be really weird to go from 3 nights a week playing volleyball to 8 weeks of not! The last time I went that long without playing was back in 2003!! I'm really going to miss it!!

Today I'm spending today catching up on emails, working on inventorying my Pyrex collection and catching up on my favorite blogs. Hope you are having a great Sunday!!!

Here are some pics from my travels this week...

 This was the big one! The picture doesn't do it justice-it was huge, and already sold!

 Stopped at a light and looked up to see this beauty!!

The Hunt-a new to me antique shop-looking forward to many more trips to this cute little shop!

 Such a wide variety and prices look pretty good!!

 Next time you're in Waterford, stop by and wander through-you'll be glad you did!!

 Picked this up at the church rummage sale for $1-still in the package-not that old.


 Very big piece of material for fifty cents-for a friend who is recovering some random chairs.
 Found the littlest guy to the four piece set-now I only need to find the 7" and the set is complete!

Enjoying my sun room today and my corner cabinet!




2 comments:

  1. I think that sale sounds creepy -- not the sale itself, but the way all the men just looked at you, as though you didn't belong there. I think I would have left really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If an estate sale looks good, I have to get there early. Dealers around here get crazy for the same type of stuff I collect so it's really competitive. Normally I'll wait about an hour and a half until the doors open. The longest I've waited was 4 hours. But it was so worth it!

    Love your sunroom cabinet! I could look at it all day :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete