Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Boy am I OLD!!!

My oldest son is turning 20 today!!! YIKES! That makes me seriously O-L-D!!! I remember being 20, and thinking I knew it all. I remember being 20 and thinking my mom was ancient (she's 20 years older than me, and I'm 23 years older than Adam). I bet he thinks I am ancient too!

20 years ago I was supposed to be at my baby shower, but instead I was sitting in the hospital waiting for the pitosin to kick in and start the contractions! My due date was actually May 22, but for some reason, I always felt that I would have him early. I even tried to talk my aunt into having the shower earlier. She just laughed at me and said, "Honey, first babies are always late, you'll be fine!" We both laughed when I called from the hospital that day! I called again while my shower was going on and got to talk to everyone. My mom was there and told me all about it later.

I can remember just sitting and waiting, and waiting for something to happen. The nurses started the IV at 8am and by 3:00 they said if nothing starts soon, we'll stop the drip, and let you get some rest and start it again tomorrow. The reason they were inducing was because my water sprung a leak and was slowly dripping. I was actually really embarrassed to call and ask about it, I thought it was just big baby pressing on the bladder so I waited all day before calling, and they had me come in right away, did a couple quick tests and confirmed it was amniotic fluid. They sent me home and said get a good night's sleep and we'll see you bright and early at 7am. I don't think I slept all night that night! I was soo excited to finally see my baby boy!

At 4:00 contractions started so fast and so hard, Kevin had to call my mom and tell her to hurry and get to the hospital! For a first baby, the labor went pretty fast...he was born at 8:04pm at a whopping 9 lbs 3oz and 20 1/4". My mom nicknamed him "Bubba" and to this day I still call him Bub.

He is a very smart guy. He was advanced classes in elementary school (our district didn't offer anything like that after 5th grade), he is an excellent athlete-whatever sport he tries, he excels at it. He was the best catcher for many years (until too many nasty parents got involved in screaming at the kids at the games-don't you just love those parents?). He plays volleyball like a pro-with an amazing hang time. Anything he puts his mind to, he can do. He knows how to do electrical, plumbing, and anything else that might need to be done around the house. He is a super computer genius. He doesn't know the meaning of the word can't. He will figure it out-no matter how long it takes and the solution will be bigger and better than you ever imagined.

He is in his second year of college, and is working toward a degree in Nursing and eventually becoming a nurse anesthetist. He is great with kids, and can be very thoughtful and kind. He is wise beyond his years. I can't believe he isn't a teenager anymore! I have lots of wonderful memories marking the milestones of his life, and great memories of just great everyday things. I'm looking forward to the memories and good times in the next 20 years and beyond!

Happy Birthday Adam! I love you!!


1 comment:

  1. Those memories of our babies coming are as real as if they just happened yesterday, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete