Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Itchy, itchy, itchy!!

Yesterday morning I woke up with a rash on my inner forearms! I wasn't sure if it was poison ivy, or just a rash-or something worse! All kinds of things ran through my mind! I was wondering if the tablecloth I picked up at a booth at the Parking Structure sale had some sort of little mite on it-or if it was an allergic reaction.

I went to the doctor, and he said that it was a text book case of hives. WHEW! While I'm glad it is some sort of allergic reaction, and not a yucky bug-it leaves me with a lot of questions...

Was it something I ate? Is it stress? Is it a new laundry soap? Since it was on my inner forearms, the doctor doesn't feel it was a food allergy or laundry soap allergy...and since I just got back from a 2 week vacation, how could it be stress? Now, it has spread to my torso and palms and boy is it itchy!!! He gave me a prescription for prednesone, and some pills to help the itching-the only problem is that the pills make me sick to my stomach!

I'm hoping that when the pills are done (in 9 more days), that I'll be all back to normal. In the mean time, I'm trying to focus on anything other than itching!!


  1. You poor thing! We've had poison ivy around here (none this year yet) but no hives. I will pray that it was a one time deal and you aren't allergic to junk or rust!

  2. Thanks so much for the prayers Jill-the hives have gone down a TON today!!! It all started fading away today after our Youth Pastor prayed for me-and I see by your post that you were probably praying about the same time! The power of prayer is AWESOME! Thank you Lord!

    Wouldn't it be awful to not be able to go out hunting for treasures for fear of being allergic to them?!?!?

  3. Sometimes we just never know what causes hives. I had a very severe case of them a year or so ago. I got them all over my body starting with my hands and spreading to everywhere except my face (which was good because I still had to go to work). I thought maybe it was new laundry detergent or some new face cream (but since it wasn't on my face, it couldn't have been). I remember it lasting for days and inbetween taking long hot showers, covering myself with anti-itch cream and then rinsing it off again, I somehow got through it.
    I never figured out what it was, but I know I never want hives again.
    So, I know what you're going through and it will eventually pass and hopefully you haven't itched off all your skin before then.

  4. Hi WW!
    Thanks for following my blog! Nice to meet you! I'm still trying to figure it out. My friend Chicken's Auntie suggested maybe it was Queen Anne's Lace that caused it, but I did that post after I had the hives.

    I'm starting to think it might have been that free sample of Caress body wash I got in the mail...
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!!