Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Punch in the Gut!

Today started off like any other normal Thursday. I got up, went to work, was doing my Thursday work duties, and in the back of my mind I was already wondering if I was going to find some sales that were worth the trip, when I got a call from my husband.

A couple of days ago, we got a letter from our township offices, asking us to call them to set up an appointment because they needed to discuss something with us. Since we both worked and/or had volleyball real late yesterday, we couldn't do anything about it then, but Kevin was off today and he went over to see what it was all about.

We couldn't imagine what it was, but kind of blew it off thinking it might be that they were putting in more lights on the soccer fields, or expanding their Easter marshmallow drop, or just letting us know about a big event they were going to hold...since it's right next door to us, we always get notifications of things going on-they are very thoughtful to include us when something is coming up.

Anyway...he went, this morning, and he kind of caught them off guard. They were expecting a phone call, where we'd set up an appointment and have a meeting. They were a little stand-off-ish, and kind of hemming and hawing so he said just tell me.

That's when they pulled out a drawing...they have purchased the property behind us, between our house and the expressway, and the property east of us all the way to the end of our road and plan to put in parking lots, 4 tennis courts and some sort of building (Kevin was so shell-shocked, he can't remember what type of building). So they were tossing it out there that they'd like our property. They also said, we probably wouldn't want to live there anymore with all that they were going to do.

Talk about coming out of left field!! I'm still reeling and I've known about this for about 8 hours now! I'm not worried, or stressed, I've done enough praying and God has brought so many scriptures to mind, and encouraging words from friends, that I am trusting. We went to lunch to a little favorite place of ours to kind of decompress a little and as we sat down the song that was playing was "I look to you" by Whitney Houston-reminding me to keep my eyes on God!

The very next song blasted out "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" LOL-God surely does have a sense of humor!!!

I'm just really sad! We've lived here 19 years (as of January 1). This is the only home our boys know or remember. We've poured our hearts and souls into this house and  yard over the years. Every February since we've lived here, we've done projects around the house and yard. All we had left to do was the bathrooms and the kitchen-which we were going to start next month!

I was already planning this summer's sand volleyball since I've met so many new volleyball players this year, thinking how much fun it would be to have them all over-along with our regular crowd! Now, it looks like we'll be moving instead!

I might have to have a packing party-with all of my Fiesta and vintage goodies-I'm so overwhelmed at the thought of packing it all up-plus all those years of accumulation...I'd need a team of 20 people-just to peel me out of the fetal position in the corner!!! Kidding! Kind of...


Here's the proposed plans...our house and yard are the big white box in the lower left corner-see the parking lots all around? Tennis courts in the lower right corner, and the building is the half black half white thing in the top right. Soccer fields are immediately to the left of the fence line, so we'd end up an island in the middle of the park.

If you're a praying person, we'd sure appreciate your prayers! We need wisdom, and direction-big time! We don't want to be hasty, but we also don't want to be stuck with a place we can't sell. Maybe toss in a prayer or two for patience!

Thanks for letting me vent! I probably won't be getting any junkin done this weekend, but hopefully soon!

Take care friends!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my- what a situation to be in. I assume the Township will offer fair market value? What a tough decision. If everything gets built up around you, I wonder if your home will still feel like your home? Changing all your vistas (parking lots? lights at night?) might affect how you feel about your home. Lots to think about....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they will buy your home from you since they have already bought other homes! Maybe have a realtor come over and give you a market analysis to see how much property is selling for like yours! It looks like God has already taken care of a few things!
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'll be praying! I can't help but believe that this will all work out fine in the end -- maybe not the way you'd hope for, or had planned on, but 'okay' according to YOUR needs & HIS purposes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Auntie!!! We're keeping our chins up, and trusting Him-ready to follow wherever He leads us!

      Delete
  4. I would be out of there. Do you really want all that mess in your life. It will be very hard to leave. But trust me time does heal those bad memeories and peretty soon all you will have are the good ones of your home as it was. Maybe this is your big chance for a new adventure. I also know that the answer will come to you in time. It will just pop into your head. A gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouraging words-I like that you said a new adventure, because it sure will be one!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  5. I think I would get out of there too, just make sure you get a good and fair price for your property. I would look for another home where it will be more peaceful with less traffic. A new door is being opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tammy for the encouraging comment! I see the new door, and I'm almost ready to walk through...it's still kind of scary though-but isn't change sometimes scary? Thanks for stopping by!! :)

      Delete
  6. My first visit to your blog and I read this. Praying for you and that the Lord gives you wisdom. Romans 8:28.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I promise I'm not usually so melancholy! Thanks for the scripture too-very encouraging!

      "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose."

      I love the SOAP idea too-thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete
  7. We have had to do this twice in our lives. The first time was moving from a home we were at for over 20 years, the only one our three boys ever really remembered. A very tough move, but we got through it just fine and you will, too. Then, because of things that happened that were out of our control, we had to do it again after 6 years in a brand new home. I feel your pain, but you will get through it. It may not be easy, but this too shall pass. Just one more chapter in your life, or another test that I'm sure you will pass. I don't know you, but I check in on your blogs from time to time and I will be thinking about you and praying for you to be strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jackie! It helps to hear from someone who's been there done that and made it through!!! Thanks for the encouragement and prayers!!!

      Delete