Pages

Friday, October 7, 2016

Davisburg Antique Festival Fall 2016

Last weekend Auntie and I visited the Davisburg Antique Festival. We have gone to every festival that they have held so far-both of them-in the fall and the spring. We love the festival, but hate the weather! Every time, it is either rainy or has recently rained buckets so the ground is super soggy. This time was no different.

It was warmer though, so I didn't need a jacket, but I still got covered in mud. My shoes were a mess and the mud was up the back of my pants to almost my knees. I think the weather scared a lot of sellers and shoppers because there were some empty spots and it was nice to be able to shop without constantly having someone in your way or looking for you to get out of theirs!

I bought my granny cart for Auntie to use, since it is so much bigger than hers, and since I'm not shopping to resell anymore, it just hangs in my garage. It was looking pretty lonely, so I was happy for Auntie to use it!

We were done and home in record time. I was disappointed in how many painted shabby chic furniture booths there were. There seemed to be an over abundance of those as well as rusty metal junk booths. I hope future shows are filled with more vintage treasures than this one was.

I got my kettle corn, a corner hankie box, and a really cool old tablecloth-I'm a happy girl! I was thinking that this was the last festival/flea/show for the year, but I got a reminder on my phone about another one in Monroe on the 22nd. Unfortunately, I won't be going. I'll be in Okemos watching me soon to be daughter-in-love trying on and hopefully picking out her wedding dress!! My mom is coming from the U.P. and her mom, sister and best friend will also be there! There will always be other shows/festivals/fleas, but only once will I get to see her pick the dress she will marry my son in. It'll be a fun day, I'm sure!

This past week has been super crazy and super busy, but also a great week to slow down, and focus on the good things, the blessings, the fun and the people around me. Work is super busy but at least that makes it go by fast! My Wednesday night ladies volleyball team won 4 out of 5 games (we won all 5 the week before), and we had fun and laughed a lot while we played. Even though the future of our house and property is uncertain right now, we know we LOVE our house, our property and our location.

Our crazy, impulsive decision to buy not one, but two puppies on the spur of the moment has had more downs than ups, especially when I took out big girl Lucy to the groomer yesterday and she said she found a couple of fleas! UGH! That meant hours of washing bedding, dog beds, towels and toys in super hot water, sprinkling flea killing powder on the carpet, tons of vacuuming and more vacuuming...and more questions of what were we thinking!?!? But then we look at the sweet little faces, watch them run and play and have fun without a care in the world and we fall in love again and it's all good.

Last week, I got a text that said, "Proud moment-I just saw Ben lift his leg for the first time", and another one that said "Ben rang the bell by the door for the first time...ok so it was when we were coming in and not going out, but it's a start!" It's the little things that keep us going. Plus we have to remind ourselves that they've only been alive for 3 1/2 months, and it IS getting better. I just hope this flea thing is short-lived, and as painless as possible!

I also got some happy mail in the form of the last bowl in my Pyrex dots set!! What will I ever do when my wish list is no more?!? I think the thrill of the hunt is enough for me, I don't always have to buy something to feel like a treasure hunting adventure has been fun.

Thanks everyone for the sweet messages and words of encouragement from my last post. I really appreciate that you took the time to send a message, email or post-it came at just the right moment-THANK YOU!!!

Here are some pics of my week last week...

The first two are inside of a vintage airstream that was used as a booth at the festival



These stools...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

The best kettle corn at Midland and Davisburg! Don't let the other guy talk you into his, McGuire's is the BEST!!

LOVE!!!

The ground was so wet that they brought in TONS of straw to help keep our feet dry. I stepped in one spot that I sunk into the straw and wet grass enough for the water to go almost all the way over my shoes-ugh!



A trailer full of rusty metal wheels

Barn wood for those Pinterest projects


SO TRUE!!!


I LOVE old iron beds and I LOVE turquoise!!! I just need a few more bedrooms and I'd be all set!!

See the puddles??


I wandered around and kept walking past a couple who were using this as their granny cart. It looks like they outfitted it with drink holders and personalized it with the Lions sticker-how FUN!! I LOVE creativity!!






It has some nasty old glue residue that I'm not sure I can get off without damaging the plastic, but it was $2.25-so I couldn't walk away!


LOOK at this!! Have you ever seen a vintage spring tablecloth like this one?? I couldn't pass it up!

It was a little chilly and it was so damp while we were walking around so it was a perfect day to make some homemade chicken soup!


This is just across the street, about 30 feet from our driveway. The good news is our road will be paved and we might even get high speed internet-finally!!

These are the little poopers...staring me down as I type and eat a caramel apple pop, hoping I'll share.

They all have the flea treatment stripe going on...man they are soo stinkin cute!!!

I'm looking forward to another positive week. I keep reminding myself to CHOOSE JOY, so that I don't focus on the negative and get discouraged. I can't wait for volleyball on Saturday, seeing and playing with old and new friends, and on Monday, I am going to a board meeting for a new charity thrift store that is going to be starting in our area. I may be volunteering to help get it up and running-I am super excited about that!!!

I hope you are having a great week and looking forward to what next week brings!

Happy Hunting friends!

2 comments:

  1. Cute puppies...bummer about the fleas! Yuck! It fun to see your finds.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your babies are too cute. I always love your trips especially when they include shopping vintage. I volunteer all day Saturdays at a charity thrift that benefits homeless animals. I love seeing what people buy. thanks

    ReplyDelete