Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Sweet and Memory Evoking Estate Sale...

Today I had 8 sales all mapped out for Auntie and I to visit. The first one was on the opposite side of town and as we were pulling up, I told Auntie that I thought this sale might be at a distant relative's house. Turns out I was right! The house belongs to my (we counted generations, and think we got this right) great-great aunt Donna. She is in her 90's and living in a nursing home now, and her three daughters were selling everything from the house.

Auntie was worried that it might be too hard or awkward to shop a sale of a relative. I was actually really thrilled to be able to purchase something that was hers, to remember her by!  The relation is on my mom's side of the family. She was married to my great grandma's brother. He passed away several years ago. I used to run in to her about once a month at Kroger when the boys were little, but haven't seen her or her daughters for probably 10 years...isn't that sad?!? We lived in the same town-yet we never saw each other.

I remember her as always seeming very old, even when I was a kid. She is such a sweet and loving lady too-a lot like I remember my great grandma being. I'm planning to go back to the sale tomorrow to see if I can find out which nursing home she is in so I can visit her before it's too late!

I got some great treasures that every time I use them or look at them, I will be reminded of her. Our family used to get together quite often when I was younger, but right around the time I hit high school, everyone just sorta got busy with life and we all stopped getting together except for showers and weddings, and funerals. It's a shame that all of the generations don't get together any more. Do you still have family gatherings with all of your aunts, uncles, cousins and so on? 

This is what I got today...



Both of these glass tree toppers were a quarter each!





A glass rolling pin, it has some chips on the end where the lid goes, but I think if I can find a lid, it will hide the chips...do you see the price?


A couple of hand embroidered pillowcases!


A bumpy white bedspread. 




I found one other thing at another estate sale...

 A big glass jar (now I need to search for a lid) to hold more vintage ornaments!

How about you? What treasures did you find today?

3 comments:

  1. Looks good.How lucky to come across family and rescue some good memories.Love those tree toppers.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts and seeing what you find each week.
    I am jealous that you have someone to go with on your garage sale excursions every week. I've been garage saleing almost every weekend since early May this year, and have only had 4 times where someone went with me. But, I have found it's all about the search for the perfect item, and I have found quite a few things over the summer, I know I've spent way more money, but I love what I find.
    I love seeing what you find as well, and can tell you love looking for the items.
    I'm not a huge commenter, but I do follow and read all your blog posts and love following your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi WW! Thanks for stopping by and for your very nice comments! It sounds like our mutual love for sales will make us great blog-land friends!!!

    ReplyDelete