Friday, March 22, 2013

The Week After...

Well, it's been a full week now since we found out the township doesn't want our property. What an emotional roller coaster the past 2 months have been! Just when we had finally convinced ourselves that this was for real, and we were going to make the best of it, we find out-- surprise! It's not going to happen! I kind of feel like we were riding the roller coaster, and we climbed the big hill, and were almost to the top-ready to throw our hands up and yell weeee as we go over the hill and down and around to the end of the ride. Except, they stopped the ride at the top and made us walk down. That's what it feels like.

Ok, so now what do we do? We know that it is only a matter of time until this comes up again, since they are buying all the property around us still-just not developing it at this time. I am hoping for a good 4-5 years before we have to face this again. By then, both boys will be finished with college, and our mortgage will be paid off and then hopefully, we can move on our terms-if we want to.

My boss was on vacation this week so things at work were really quiet and slow. One of my co-workers is leaving and this was his last week. Another co-worker and I ended up going to lunch with him on Monday and Tuesday, just to hang out with him before he moves on.

On Monday, we went to a place that has been in business since 1981. I've heard they have the best burgers anywhere, and they even have yak and ostrich burgers. I have always wanted to try it out, but since it's a bar, I've stayed away-not wanting to get all smokey smelling, and since the ban on smoking, I just haven't thought about it. It was his choice and he raved about the burgers so much that we went.

It felt weird to be on a lunch break from my job at a church, sitting in a bar. Not a bar and grill, a bar that makes food. We had water to drink, and we ordered a yak burger, a beef burger and I got a turkey burger. All three were way over cooked and dry. I wasn't impressed. With so many options out there, I can't see myself making another trip. Had the food been better, I sure would have made an effort to bring the guys and go back.

The next day they took me with them to lunch and they went to a sushi place. A place I had heard from friends who LOVE sushi that it was really good, but really expensive. I don't care for sushi, so I never planned to try the place.

It turns out they make cooked food too! We all got Bento Bowls, which ended up being a square wooden box that was about 12"x12" with dividers inside and I got teryaki chicken. So in my sections, I had teryaki chicken and sauteed vegetables, white rice, tempura vegetables, and dumplings. It was pretty good-a little bland-I would have liked some spice, but I'll try something else next time that might be more what I was looking for.

I even managed to eat the whole meal with chopsticks-even though I had them bring me a fork...just in case! It was only $9 for all that food too, so not too bad! I got extra dumplings instead of spring rolls, and couldn't even eat them all!

On Wednesday, I decided to stop at a TV repair place that has had my TV, for the second time, since February 25. They were going to try to figure out why it was still doing the same thing that I brought it in for at the beginning of February and call me. I had called them 3 times and left 3 messages and they never called me back.

When I stopped, I told the guy I had not heard from them and I had called 3 times and left messages and no one called me back. Rather than apologize, he told me that it was so-and-so's job to do that and she was at the hospital with her mother who had a stroke 2 weeks ago and was probably going to die and she very well could be bleeding out at that very moment! He just works in the back room...he should have stayed in the back room! I'm sure she doesn't want everyone knowing her business...and whatever happened to "sorry, ma'am ..we've been short handed due to a family emergency-we'll take care of it for you."

I stopped at the local salvation Army next-no fun stuff to be found. I swear, their prices seem to go up and up, and are almost at ridiculous. I'm glad garage sale season is just around the corner!!! After I turned on our road, and while I was driving past the parking lot to the park next door, I noticed that the "make-out couple" was back.

This is a couple whom I am sure are having an affair...that has been going on for over a year, maybe longer. Why am I sure it's an affair? Because they are probably in their 40's, they park in the back of a parking lot closest to a dead-end dirt road, kind of tucked away, so no one from the township offices can see their car, and the windows are all steamed up and you see two people on the passenger seat-one who's backside is up in the air---as you drive by.

I guess I was in a mood on Wednesday...because I drove past, turned around, and drove in to the township offices. I spoke with one of the head people there, and told her that we have a problem in their parking lot...I went on to explain about "make-out couple", and told her they have been doing this now for well over a year, 1-2 sometimes more times a week,  in a public place-where families frequent. Where we have to see it every time they are there and we have to drive by it... and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what they are doing. I even told them how they started in a pick up truck, moved to a champagne colored car and are now in an older dark blue car.

I asked her what they wanted me to do about it...did they want me to call the police, did they want to take care of it, or should I go over there and bang on their window and tell them to get a room? As I was talking, I noticed heads popping around cubical walls, and a lot of smiling faces and even heard a few bursts of laughter. I was assured that they would take care of it. So I thanked them and went home.

I thought about going back with a camera and taking a picture of the license plate, and then maybe the butt up in the air and posting them to facebook...asking if anyone recognized the car or the butt. I may still do that  if they show up again-LOL!

I had an early game that night, so I ran home, changed my clothes and went to play some vball! We won 3 out of 5 games, and I got home and it was still light out! I was loving that!!!

Just work and usual household stuff on Thursday and groceries and vet stuff-nothing fun. Today, I went to 3 sales. The first one in the town I grew up in. It was in a tiny little house and there were probably 50 people in line. I expected them to say only 10 in at a time...they let EVERYONE in! The prices were as high, if not higher than antique/collectible store prices.

I didn't see a whole lot of buying going on. I got a couple of yard sticks, some crocheted hot pads (for fifty cents each) and a Mexican themed vintage tablecloth. I bumped into a junkin friend, Jennifer, who also has a booth where I have my booth.

The next sale on my list was just a couple of miles from the first sale, so I went right there. I pulled in and was #6. It still had about a half an hour until it opened. I saw Jennifer walking up to get her name on the list and she jumped in and sat and chatted with me while we waited.

It was more of a moving sale than an estate sale. They had stuff throughout the whole house for sale, but not my kind of stuff, so I moved on quickly. I had one more sale to hit and it was very close to home. I called Kevin and asked him to go get numbers or get in line and I'd be there soon.

When I got there, I realized the sale started an hour earlier than the ad said. Kevin was already inside, and had quite a stash of stuff. He was pickin for me! ...and for himself too! I should have skipped the other two sales and just hit this one! It was a family run sale and the prices were very reasonable. There was a lot to see, and people were buying.

I checked out and went back in again and found things I missed the first time around and checked out again! I may go back tomorrow just to see what's left and if they are giving any discounts.

After that, we dropped everything off at home and went to the post office, I got a notice that I had a package with postage due. It was for something I got on Ebay...I've never had an Ebay item come postage due---have you? I'm going to let the seller know and see what she has to say...probably nothing...but we'll see. Would you tell the seller? Or just pay it?

We stopped at the library and ended up staying there for 2 hours! They were having a blood drive and we donated. We try to turn it into a race-to see who can drain their blood the fastest. The technicians most of the time get a kick out of our joking and join in. Today was fun because they joined in and had fun with us. I even got them to tell Kevin that I couldn't do any heavy lifting--aka pots and pans for 5 hours, so he had to take me out to dinner tonight! Too bad it's pizza night, otherwise I might have been able to work that out!!

Now, we are home for the night. Me in the sun room, and him in the barn. Home sweet home. I'm glad we're not moving, even though I was resigned to it, and maybe even looking forward a little bit to the adventure.

How was your week? Have you hit any sales yet? Planning to hit any sales? What kinds of things have you been finding? It's been a really slow month for me at the booth...I've made my rent, but nothing else as of yesterday...there is a big sale coming up, and I know people are waiting for that, so I'm hoping the sale will at least get me a check for the month. This is my slowest month in the 2 years that I've had my booth.

Here are my finds for this week...I promise not one license plate or butt picture in the bunch!

 This is my pickings from the first sale, 9 crocheted hot pads, 2 yardsticks and a very bright Mexican themed vintage tablecloth.

 This was at the third sale...I saw it in the garage, with a $5 sticker and a big SOLD sign. I didn't look closely at it, since it said sold...later I found out Kevin had put the sold sign on it and it was ours...once we were loading it in the car, I thought, maybe I should have left it's pretty rusty on the bottom...would you have bought it??

 A very dirty, but cute old planter.

 I love salt and pepper shakers. I don't collect them, because my grandma used to collect them when I was a kid, and it was my job to dust them for her!!! She had hundreds of them too-I will never collect s & p shakers for that very reason!!

 Kevin nabbed this California pottery covered casserole-pretty close to vintage Fiesta red!

 A covered butter dish for a friend who collects them...

 Cookbooks, and a music book...

 Waxing nostalgic...I had on of these about 5 times bigger when I was a kid, and it was a quarter.

 Not old, but glass,and glitter...

 Fifty cents each, pretty much brand new...good to have on hand if we meet someone who needs one!

 Piggy jar! I've never seen one before and I am in love!

Some tins, and since we are staying, a book on how to get some more birds to visit us!

 Shoe shine box, filled with all the stuff to do a good job!

 Love this little guy!

 What can I say, I have a thing for glass!

...and a thing for galvanized!

Kevin got a few things, and I also got a little doll cradle from the 70's that is missing the bottom (for fifty cents) that will take Kevin about 30 seconds to make one for me. It was fun picking through it all!

Here are some shots of the food places we went this week...

 Interesting ceiling for a bar!

 It was so dark inside, it hurt your eyes to look toward the windows! I'm surprised that any of these turned out...since the food wasn't all that great, no photo to share.

 Cell phone room...tiny sound proof room so you could call your spouse and tell them you were working late, and they wouldn't find out because they wouldn't hear the bar noise!

Second place...

Soup and salad to start...

...and then I forgot to take a picture of the main dish-doh! I was so nervous about using the chop sticks and not looking like a dummy, I forgot to take one!!!

Hope you have a great weekend-filled with lots of laughter and good times!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment