Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

To sell,or not to sell...


Remember these old farmhouse cabinets that I got last summer from the farmhouse at the end of the road? I pulled the shelf liner off of the top of the little one and put them both in my garage sale. I had the top one for sale at $200 and the bottom for $130. I got a couple of offers, and I finally said the least I would go would be half of what I had them marked at.

Today, we came home and in our mailbox was a handwritten note...one of the ladies who was at my sale wants to buy them. The problem is...I'm not so sure I want to sell them now. So, I started weighing the pros and cons to try to decide what I should do.

They are both very old and full of character. I don't have a spot for them right now in my house, but since they are old, it's not like I can run out and re-buy them when I do have a spot (a.k.a. when the boys move out on their own). I'm sure if I did try to re-buy them or something similar, I'd pay a whole lot more than I originally paid for them.

They are just going to sit in the barn until I decide if I for sure want them or until I find a spot for them. What would you do? I haven't called her back yet, because I'm still trying to decide. I've gone from yes, I'm going to sell them, to no, I'm keeping them,and back around again and again. I seriously cannot make up my mind-so I need your help!!

9 comments:

  1. I love them...I think I would keep them, at least the top one. I have sold stuff, that I thought I could replace easily, but couldn't and regretted it. Way the pros and cons...what would you spend the money on, how long they will sit in the barn, do you need the space they will take up, etc. You have a tough choice to make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! It is really hard!!! I don't have anything in mind to spend the money on. They can stay in the upstairs of the barn for 30 years and not be in the way...but I'm not sure I'll ever have room for them...ugggh!! There I go again-round and round! :)

      Delete
    2. I think you have your answer, only sell for a price you would be happy with. I wish I lived closer to you so I could have shopped at your sale...you had all the stuff I like. :)

      Delete
  2. KEEP! It is hard to find good ones like those!
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would sell for the right price only. Like display pieces I see in booths. A big price is put on them because they really want to keep them for display purposes. But if someone is willing to pay that much, they will part with them. Or you keep one & sell the other for the right price. I would love either one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep them. If the day comes when you decide to not use them, you can always sell at a later date. Most likely they will only be more valuable. The lady had the chance to buy them, but missed the opportunity. Listen to your gut that is telling you to keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sell and get something that fits your space

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sell and get something that fits your space

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading this late and the decision may have already been made, but I'd keep them. Anytime I haven't been able to decide if I should keep or sell, I've regretted selling. You might find others, but maybe not with the character these have. You can always sell them later...

    ReplyDelete