Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Some Great Ideas and a New Project!

Last week I got an email from a coworker and it really had some great ideas in it! I have already put a couple of them into practice, and plan to try out a couple more! It showed spreading chocolate chip cookie dough on   muffin cups from a muffin pan flipped upside down, and baking it that way to form little cookie bowls for ice cream-my guys are looking forward to trying that!


It showed putting a tension rod under your sink in the cupboard to hang your squirt bottle cleaners on to get them up and off the bottom of the shelf and kind of make a second shelf under there. My next trip to a hardware store involves getting a tension rod-I can't wait to try this!!


It also showed a really easy way to fold fitted sheets, and suggested putting your clean sheets into one of the pillow cases in your linen closet-so everything was all together and ready to go. It would keep your linen closet neater and you wouldn't end up searching all over for stray pillow cases. My fitted sheets have never been folded so nicely, and my linen cupboard has never been so organized!


While folding and organizing, I came across a couple of old sheet sets that I decided to put to another use. The white sheets with the purple flowers are my all time favorite sheets! Unfortunately, I was lazy one night about six or so years ago, and went to bed with an ankle bracelet on and as I stretched out my leg, the clasp caught on the sheet and ripped a big ole rip that was impossible to repair.

I've kept the sheets because I couldn't bear to get rid of them because I love them so much. Now I found a way to keep them, but see them every day! I'm trying my hand at making a rag rug!! I tried to make one last summer using bright primary colored material and I was pulling it too tight and it ended up looking like a Jamaican hat-so after a ton of teasing from my guys, I gave up.

This time, I am being really careful to not pull too tight and it is actually laying flat!! YAY!! It isn't perfect, but I'm happy with it! It is a really easy project-I wonder why more people aren't making rag rugs!! I watched some great how-to videos on youtube by LauraJaneV82. If you are interested in making a rag rug-I highly recommend her videos! She makes it sound easy enough to give it a try!

 I think I need to make my strips a little wider next time to avoid the bottom sheet from showing through.

 After I ripped the two fitted sheets into strips, I pulled as many strings as I could off and rolled the strips into balls to make them easier to handle.

My funny little tool that I made out of a paper clip and some painters tape. 


I watched a different video on ripping your sheets quickly and efficiently. I ripped a whole sheet in about a minute-it was incredible! I had to have Kevin on the other end, but it worked! Now if I could just find some extra time, I could really go to town on this! I'm still getting the teasing, but I think they can see I'm doing much better this time! I'm so glad I didn't give up and never try it again!! I can't wait to make another one-I'm sure it will be much better than than this one!!

It's nice to be at home, working on a little project-today has been a crazyyyyy day!!! I had to work the front desk during the first church service and it was crazy busy and weird! We had to call 911 for an older man who passed out during the service. He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. I hope he is alright!

It seems that more times than not when I work the desk we are calling 911 for an ambulance! Most times they refuse to go. This time he really needed to go, and so I'm glad he went! There was a couple of small housekeeping/building issues that came up after that, then a woman came in and said there was a hurt deer on the play ground. So I kept our facilities Manager hopping with my phone calls for a while.

Shortly after that, a man who was helping spread salt on the sidewalks came in because he had needed to open a new bag of salt, but didn't have a knife, so he used his teeth and a small piece of the plastic from the salt bag got stuck in his teeth and it was hurting him and he wanted to know if we had some floss! Luckily someone else was at the desk helping me at that time and she was able to find him some string.

On top of regular Sunday morning office stuff and people dropping off cookies for the blood drive tomorrow, it was an unusually busy day! Kevin was taking blood pressures for anyone who wanted it today, so we got into church late and had to sit in the balcony-which was about 90 degrees! I don't think I could have lasted much longer than I did, I was getting so sleepy up there! After that, we ran out and got a bite to eat and then headed back for our congregational meeting to vote for some new elders. We didn't get home until about 3:00-and we left early!

Now I've got dinner in the oven and I will be working on my rug the rest of the night! Speaking of dinner...do you like butternut squash? Do you have a Costco near you? I found this a few months ago at Costco and we just loved it! I was so happy when I found it again when we went on Friday.


I usually chop up some onions and toss it with some olive oil and a little salt and pepper and roast it in the oven-YUMMMM!

P.S.--if you would like to see the email with all of the great ideas, just leave a comment or send me an email and I'll email it to you! I wasn't able to post pictures or copy and paste the email into this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment