Friday, February 10, 2012

There's NOTHING like a good GPS!!

Yesterday after work, I took off for an estate sale in a very old farm house. It was a long drive so when I got out to my car (at work) and found that Kevin still had my GPS in his car, I didn't want to go all the way home to get it. I had Adam's GPS in my car from a month ago when mine was acting up. I grabbed his one day just as a back-up so I wouldn't get stranded somewhere.

I didn't get to the sale until around 1:30 and it was very well picked over. I wish I would have been able to get there earlier!! For the most part the prices were pretty good, some things were high, but you get that at just about any sale. 

I saw an old iron Victorian style full size headboard for $20 in the garage. It was pretty rusty and it didn't have the side rails or foot board, so I decided to think about it while I walked around the inside. I found a couple of small things inside (the house was packed with people shopping), but almost everything I saw had either a "hold" or "sold" tag on it. When I went back to the garage, the headboard was sold! Snooze-you lose-right? Oh well, it wasn't that big of a deal for me, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

This is what came home with me...
 This is a rocking chair that I dug out in the basement-it was only $3-needs a good cleaning, and it is pretty stable!

 This is an applique quilt that has been started-it's full of pins-ouch! Found that out the hard way-$2.

Yes, sadly, another tablecloth came home with me...the only thing I can say is, I don't have one in this color?

I got back in the car and set the GPS for home. It is a really old, cheap GPS that doesn't say street names, or tell you which side of the road your destination is on. It was also really off on its measurements. It would say 800 feet when it was more like 80 feet. I got about 5 miles from the sale (which was in an area I'd never been to) and the screen went black and it started making a very loud grinding/clicking sound. I kept pushing the power button, but nothing happened. I had to put it under my leg just to silence it enough to not go crazy!!

I had to rely on gut instinct to find my way to the expressway. The GPS was taking me home a totally different way than it took me to get to the sale and I was out in the middle of no where. I finally found one expressway that eventually led me to an expressway that I know. 

I stopped at a consignment store (that I love) in Fenton on the way home and was hoping the GPS would wind down on the battery and stop the awful noise while I was such luck! It was still going strong when I came out. I did score a vintage Fiesta relish tray base while I was shopping and it was only $13!! Guess that means I will be adding the inserts to my wish list now!

I almost did a happy dance right in the aisle when I found this!!!

I drove most of the way home, but decided to stop at the grocery store--to get away from the terrible noise the GPS was STILL making! It sure has a long battery life! When I got home, I left it in my car clicking/grinding away until Adam got home from school. It was going off for over 4 hours by the time he got to it!! He told me to toss it out the window when I was driving (I had called him to ask if he knew why it was going crazy-but he had no clue either)! He found a pin and pushed the tiny reset button and it turned off and back on and was perfectly normal-I'm glad I didn't toss it!! Why didn't I think of that???!?!?

Last night I had made up my mind that I was going to stay home today. I never even thought about running out to Kevin's car to grab my GPS I had no need for it because I scanned all of my favorite estate sale/garage sale/auction advertising companies and didn't see anything worth the drive. But...when I woke up, my mind kept going back to an auction in Lansing. I didn't see a ton of things I was interested in, but I did see some great looking quilts, and a few other things that would be good buys if I could get them cheap enough.

I ended up with Adam's GPS again since I didn't think to grab mine. It worked fine until I got into a bunch of one way roads...then it got me all turned around. Thankfully, I was able to call Adam and he walked me through it and got me to the hall where the auction was. I was only 20 minutes late too!

Twenty minutes late might have been 2 hours late, as I soon discovered! They had been selling quilts left and right and by the time I registered and got in the swing of the auctioneer's call, I had missed out on all but 3 quilts!!! UGH!!! The lady in front of me had a HUGE pile of them and she kept winning more! I was able to snag one, but it was the second least desirable one. It was really cheap, so I don't regret it. Who knew 20 minutes could make such a big deal!! Usually when I go to auctions, I sit (or stand) and wait, and wait and wait for the stuff I am interested in to come up!

Not gorgeous-but not a total frog either.

Notice the empty card....wahh!

I liked this auctioneer. He was quick and didn't do a lot of dilly dallying around-he sold a TON of stuff in the hour and a half that I was there. I bid on a few more things but they all went for way more than I was willing to pay. I decided to scoot out and try to find some thrift stores and make a stop at Mega Mall on my way home. The one thrift store I was really anxious to check out--Vintage Palooza--wasn't even at the location it was supposed to be at. It must have went out of business but Google is still picking it up when you do a search for vintage thrift. It looks like it is a restaurant now.Bummer!!

I did find the Mega Mall-in a kind of round about way (that crazy GPS again!). I've been wanting to check out the Mall since I've heard there is new management and a lot of new dealers. It was a great day to go, it was their "Cabin fever" sale. A lot of the dealers were having sales that ranged anywhere from 10%-75% off. Even at 75% off, I couldn't find anything that I couldn't live without or resell. Almost every booth was full, and some of the older, dirty booths have really been cleaned up-yay for new management!!! I did find one thing in a 50% off booth...

Riviera Homer Laughlin Red Orange Dessert Pie Plate Century RIVR 7-2
This is a picture I borrowed from the internet, I left mine out in the car and I was
too lazy to run out and get's cold out there!!!

After I got home, I had to run a meal over to some friends who recently had a death in the family, run Eric around to find a new backpack (his ripped and it's too bad to fix or even use anymore)-do you know how hard it is to find a backpack in the not back to school season?!?!? What a pain!! We did eventually find one--after a LOT of running around! 

Now we are just vegging out, after our Friday night pizza. It's nice to be home with no where to go!!! Now I think I'll head over to your place to catch up on what you've been doing this week-I can't wait to see what you've done, where you've been and what you've found!!! 

Happy Weekend!!!


  1. Looks like a productive couple of outings! I never seem to find tablecloths these days.

  2. Sounds like you have had a busy couple of days. That quilt reminds me of a some my Granny made for me, I just love it. So great you found some fiesta too!