Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Could this be a dream come true???

Yesterday I was involved in a conversation that led to wondering if I'd be interested in being a picker for someone who collects and sells antique (true antique) linens! Uh---yeahhhhh! How fun!!! The big problem...they want me to come up with the terms.

I have no idea!!! I tried Google-ing it, thinking someone out there has probably been a picker for hire before and has posted something about it-right?!? NOPE! Couldn't find a thing!

H -E - L - P!!! Any ideas as to what would be a reasonable fee? Would you charge a percentage of the sale price once the item sold? A flat rate like an hourly rate? Would you sell the item to them at a mark up from what you bought it for?

Some of her linens sell for big bucks-like thousands of dollars. I doubt I'd find that kind of inventory in Michigan...could I even be a decent picker just staying in my state? Could this be my excuse to do the World's Longest Yard Sale again??? I think it might be!!!

What do you think??? Any, and I do mean any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that your beloved Grandpa has passed on...
    Very nice score at the sad estate sale! Love all your hankies and linens.
    I don't have any advise on being a "picker"...thinking I would charge per hour and then sell her the items with a small profit for yourself...
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a couple of pickers.....they usually come to me a couple of times per month ( or twice a year in one case) and ask for a set sum for what they have. ....I think I negotiated that. Over the years we have come to work well together.
    you should ask for a mark-up that you feel comfortable with and not think about what they will get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole venture would be a major dilemma for me! I would be a terrible picker for hire because I would want to keep everything!

    But, if I had to choose how to go about payment, I would sell at my cost plus a percentage mark up.

    So sorry to hear about your grandpa. Mine has been gone a year already and I still miss him terribly.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete