Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

One day down, one more to go!

Today was the first day of the estate sale I am helping my friends with. I arrived at the house about an hour and 15 minutes early for last minute set, up stuff, and I was about 15 minutes ahead of my friends. There were already 3 cars waiting, and when they saw me pull into the driveway, they got out of their cars. When I didn't get out right away they walked up toward my car and did the what's up, are you gonna get out or what thing with their hands.

I told them I was just a worker and they had to wait until 9 for the family to come and unlock the doors and I'd bring out the numbers then. They were fine with it, especially when the people with the keys pulled in right behind me.

We ended up with 15 people in line before we opened. I was hoping for 20 or more, but since they didn't place an ad in the newspaper (Craigslist only), I think 15 was a good number. It was steady with people until about 1:30, then it crashed. We had a few trickle in after that, but not much. We only made about half of what I was expecting to make-so I'm kind of bummed about that.

I was surprised at the number of people who came who didn't speak English! A couple of them even tried to use that (a ruse I think) to get better deals. Some people nickeled and dimed me to death! I felt the prices were very reasonable, and a few people even told me and my friends they thought our prices were good. After some people left though, I felt exhausted, just from dickering with them, and today was "prices are firm" day.

By the time I got home, I was starving and there was no way I was gonna cook, when 2 of my guys had been home all day, doing nothing. So we went out to a local favorite of ours that sells grinders. We were shocked to see they had downsized their restaurant by at least half, their pickle wedges got cut in half and each sandwich has gone up at least 70 cents. A sign of the times I guess.

Now, I'm just chilling in my sun room, enjoying the sun-feeling a little sad for all the sales I missed visiting today, and will miss tomorrow, but also feeling pretty happy for being able to help out my friends. I would just be a LOT happier if we could sell more stuff!!!

We sold a lot of things, but there weren't many dents made in the amount of stuff there.

Here is what it looked like this morning before we opened...

 The Heathkit stereo was the big hit of the sale, we could have probably sold it 4 or 5 times over today!
















I'll let you know how tomorrow goes...wish us luck!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking us along to the sale. I'm sure your friends appreciate all the help you have been to them!

    ReplyDelete