Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

What is Your Collecting Obsession?

I am addicted to kitchenware. I can't stay away, no matter how much I tell myself that I don't need another bowl, gadget, tablecloth, plate or Pyrex piece! I thought having a booth in an antiques/collectibles mall would help me grow tired of these things, but I think it has only added fuel to the fire!

I pick up all of these neat little items-usually at super prices, lately with the intention of reselling them, but a lot of times, when I get them home and start getting them ready for the booth, I have premature seller's remorse. Sometimes, and item will make it all the way through the cleaning, pricing packed up and taken to the booth process, and as I am there unwrapping and displaying-I wrap it back up and take it home.

Do any of you do that? Or am I the only one?

I came home the other day with a set of melmac stacking mixing bowls in bright colors. They are brand new, not vintage and my oldest son said to my husband, "It's a good thing mom got those, because we really don't have enough bowls around here!"

So that got me thinking about the kitchenware collections that I have that have sprung up from this obsession...

Warning! Viewer discretion is advised...














I have started two more vintage Fiesta mixing bowl sets that I didn't picture. The bowl sets all started out as just something to hunt for, and I'm getting to the point where I have completed most of the sets I set out to find, but when I see them, my heart still speeds up-even when I know I don't need them and shouldn't buy them!

I've actually joined a group on facebook called "I need a 12 step program for my Fiesta Addiction!" I wonder if I should start a group called, "I need a 12 step program for my kitcheware addiction!".

What are the things you are draw to the most? What are the things you just can't walk away from-even if you have a few (or a bunch) of them at home already?

6 comments:

  1. My oh my you've got a lot of bowls! But they are sooooooo preetttty and colourful! I am not surprised you've become addicted!
    I do tend to collect most things that I become interested in- I think I must have an obsessive personality or something- books, crafting materials, dresses, hats, earrings- my house is heaving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL-Kezzie! Heaving would be a good term to describe my cabinets! I'm starting to worry about the weight-Fiesta is not light by any means!

    I just smile every time I see them Protector of Vintage-I think they are pretty too!

    Thanks Protector & Kezzie for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your obsessions! Great colors, would love to dig through that stack of linens! I could never have a booth because I probably could not part with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have wonderful pieces. Our obsessions include table linens, tea pots and pyrex refrigerator ware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collections look wonderful!

    My obsessions are kitschy (translate: tacky) kitchenware and bright colors -- it doesn't matter if it's Pyrex, Fiestaware or just plain Jane red pottery. I also love melmac and linens.

    I know just what you mean about seller's remorse. I prefer to think of it as a foster-care program for kitchenware...I keep it for awhile (sometimes a LONG while) and then let someone else adopt it. Some things, though, will NEVER leave my house.

    ReplyDelete