Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Gotta have homemade salsa to go with your guacamole!

I just LOVE Chili's chips and salsa! I could just eat that and skip the meal! When I find a dish (or any menu item) that I like, I usually go searching online for the recipe. This time I found one that comes really close to Chili's salsa, and my family eats it just as fast as the guacamole! I usually make a double batch every week to two weeks. It is super easy and has just the right amount of zip.

Start with  a large (28 oz) can of whole tomatoes-I usually get them at Walmart because they are cheaper than anywhere around. Drain off most of the liquid or juice as they call it on the can. Then throw them into your blender (yep! I said blender!)


Vidalia or yellow onions. Chop about 3/4 of a cup (give or take to your taste).

 Next add your spices. I usually add in somewhere between one and a quarter to one and a half tsp. of garlic salt (not powder-you need the salt with the tomatoes), and one to one and a quarter tsp. of ground cumin. (I think the stuff smells like stinky armpits myself...but it does ad a nice taste to the salsa).



Then add a whole big can-28 oz. Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies (sorry if the picture is confusing-I could only find the small can in my pantry). Drain all of the liquid off -if you like thinner salsa, leave some liquid. We like ours thick, so I drain the cans.

Then pulse your blender 6-10 times and viola! you have super easy, super yummy salsa that goes quick! You can cut the recipe in half if you don't have 2 (always hungry) teenage boys living in your house-or just do a Google search for the Chili's salsa recipe. It is cheaper than buying store bought salsa, and we like it way better! We haven't bought prepared salsa in months and months since I found this recipe.

A quick dip you can make with your salsa includes mixing a brick of cream cheese, some shredded cheddar and some salsa-mmmm, mmm,mmmmm! Mash it all together with a fork and leave some bigger clumps of cream cheese. It will be a very thick dip. You can use regular tortilla chips or lime tortilla chips.

Hope you get a chance to try the salsa and the dip and you find it as delish as we do!

1 comment:

  1. You are most welcome! Thanks for asking! You have to try the dip-I haven't made it in a while, but my mom made it when we were at her house and YUM! It is really good!

    ReplyDelete